August 7, 2010 by jessperriam
It’s been one of those navel gazing weeks. You know, the whole, “Argh! What do I want to be when I grow up? Do I even want to grow up?” moments / days.
Lengthy Facebook conversations at quarter past who knows when, crisis Skype talks before a Bestie’s dance lesson with her fiance have ensued. But the fact remains that while you’re half a day away from home, there’s no one really to sit down and draw pro-con lists with.
Pro-con lists are awesome by the way, much like Leffe shandies. I discovered that nugget of info while drawing up a pro-con list at the pub. Circle of life, don’t you think?
But it’s forced me to think about what I want to achieve: ridiculous, awesome, trivial or incredibly high achieving. I have just under five years until I’m 30. The thought of turning 30 doesn’t bother me (*insert patronising spring chicken remark here*), it’s merely a benchmark, a line in the sand if you will.
So here are thirty things I want to do before I’m 30 years old, I’m going to achieve one of them tonight, by the way (bottle of red in it for whoever guesses first)!
1. Do a road trip of Australia with a car load of friends (ahem, sign up here).
2. Go to the Arctic and/or Antarctic.
3. Have a crack at stand-up comedy.
4. Learn how to roast my own coffee.
5. Be a publisher (or editor or boss lady).
6. Disappear for a while.
7. Walk a long, long distance over a long weekend.
8. Cook a really fancy pants dinner for eight or more of my friends (and no, those chocolate pots won’t be on the menu. Banoffee may be.)
Go to a silent disco. Done! 7th of August 2010, Edinburgh Fringe Festival
10. Get another tattoo.
11. Go to Russia.
12. Create a photography camp with my friends, to teach young people good photo skills.
13. Write, produce and film a project with John, Scott, Jayne et al.
14. Hold a Drinking Game film festival.
15. Spend a night in an alternative cover band / supergroup. The set list would include (but not be limited to) Powderfinger, The Whitlams, Phoenix, Placebo, The Swell Season and, and, and.
16. Hire a bouncy castle. Not invite children to bounce.
17. Design, create and wear a dress.
18. Skinny dip in the Indian Ocean.
19. Read all the Popular Penguin books.
20. Cause a scene in a public place.
21. Spend a day being entirely frivolous.
22. Hold an entire conversation using only quote from The West Wing, Mad Men, Gilmore Girls or Zoolander.
23. Destroy something… yes I know that’s not descriptive enough.
24. Play Goon of Fortune.
25. Create my own pub quiz.
26. Spend a day using both the ‘F’ word and the ‘C’ word as nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs. Perhaps that would be a weekend task.
27. Live in Melbourne.
28. Enter the Miss Priscilla competition at the Parkes Elvis Festival.
29. Be interesting enough to be interviewed.
30. Do bog laps of the Fremantle Cappucino Strip (or other like road) with the car stereo blasting some 1960s tunes. And not look in the least bit embarrassed.
So I’m not sure what this list hopes to achieve, but I’ve got five years to tick them off.
My time starts…. NOW!